Thursday, October 02, 2008

I never promised you a rose garden

I've been back since Sunday morning, and sleepy most of the time since then. Except for at 5am on Monday morning when I was WIDE AWAKE and that was all there was to it. (This never happens to me, I can always sleep a bit more in the morning if time permits, so it was disconcerting).

I had a terrible time trying to watch Dark Knight last night, at the pricey Dendy Premium cinema. I had really been looking forwarding to seeing it and we been trying to find a time to see it before I went away. We ended up at the premium cinema because there was no evening session in the regular cinemas. And even with iced tea to start, coffee and cake about an hour in, a loud soundtrack with a subwoofer that shakes the seats, and overall an intense and violent movie, I simply had no control over my level of consciousness, and was horrified to find myself nodding off a few times. I didn't miss all that much time-wise but I seemed to miss a lot of important plot points. It was excruciatingly frustrating. Maybe I'll laugh about it later. But I am determined to see it again as soon as possible.
Metro strings_img_1340
Thanks to this week's sleepiness, I haven't done much with my trip photos yet. This one is from my last day in Paris. After using up almost all the available time (I was leaving Paris earlier than most of the others) getting across town to a particular restaurant for our last group lunch, which I wasn't able to stick around to order and eat, I was racing through the metro station on my way back to the hotel for my luggage. I heard beautiful music up ahead and came across this string group with a small crowd watching and photographing. I felt slightly bad that I took the time to get out the camera but not to fish out any coins!

5 comments:

Taphophile said...

Welcome home. :)

Rachel said...

Ah, Paris! Looking forward to seeing more photos. And I love that song "I never promised you a rose garden"!

DrK said...

glad to hear you are home safe xx

Donna Lee said...

What, no pat downs in the Paris airport? I think the photo is so cool. In our subways, we are lucky to get a guy with a guitar and they have a whole little chamber ensemble!

Denise said...

Welcome home - I look forward to hearing more about your travels when you've had some more sleep :)