Friday, October 10, 2008

No, really, no connection with where Batman lives*

numberone_img_0755
Gothenburg / Göteborg, Sweden
I didn't have nearly enough time to explore the city or even really get my bearings - much the same lament throughout this whirlwhind two-week tour. But I got a good taste of Göteborg.

We had two days there, one of which was spent at Volvo headquarters, where amongst other things, we had a glimpse of the crashlab (no actual crash tests) and were taken on the factory tour! This was very cool, and much more fascinating than I might have expected, seeing all the stages of how cars are made. There were no photos allowed. I understand why, but just wished I could have shared this experience with my dad or my nephew, both of whom would have LOVED it.
ibis_img_0775
Our Ibis 'floating hotel' was actually a boat. That's it in the picture above. I was happy to not feel any movement of the boat while I was there. My room looked out onto the harbour, which was lovely.

strand_img_0724
We received an excellent tip from a local, to take a walk just a short way upriver from the hotel, into an area with lots of old boats.
rust_img_0736
Many of them were rusting and crumbling. But there were also many that were being worked on or even lived on. I've been trying to work out what this area is called (if it has a name of its own - it wasn't very large) but my Google-fu has failed me so far. The whole place was so photogenic, I'm surprised I haven't come across a Flickr group or something similar in my searches.
panel_img_0753
In the city I wandered through a mall that seemed reasonably big. Later research suggests it in fact the biggest in Scandinavia, Nordstan, with 180 shops. No, not huge by Australian standards.

Click here for more of my Göteborg photos on Flickr.

*That would be the fictional Gotham City.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

The Hotel Ibis is a boat? That's so cool. I have an online friend or two in Gothenburg - I'll ask them about the area where the old boats are.

Bells said...

a very old friend of mine lives there. I've long wanted to visit. How lovely to see his city through your camera!