Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pod pattern



I've had one or two requests, so here it is, how to knit your very own 'pod'. Oh, I really hope you do. This is the first time I've written a pattern, simple as it is. Please let me know if you find mistakes.

Concept: Knit top-down in the round, starting with a smallish opening, and increasing regularly at four points, with plain rounds in between the increase rounds.

The number of increases per round, combined with the number of plain rounds in between increase rounds, determines the angle at which the pot slopes. Keep in mind also that stocking stitch will shrink more lengthwise than widthwise - so the shape you see before felting is quite different, more elongated, than what you'll see afterwards.

After a section of plain rounds in the middle, you reverse the process and start decreasing at the same rate as you increased. Once you reach the circumference you started with, you decrease every round to make a more-or-less flat bottom for the pot.

Materials:

I often use two strands held together for felting projects, to get a nice dense felted fabric. If in doubt about the needle size, it's generally better to go for a looser gauge than you would normally want, this seems to make the fabric felt more willingly. This means that your pre-felted pod really won't look much at all like the finished object. That's one of the things I love about felting.

One strand of Sean sheep 'Armytage', held with one of Lincraft 'Cosy wool'.
Needles: set of five 8mm dpns. No you don't have to use five, it's just neat that way as there are four sets of increases/decreases.

Note: use whatever increase suits you for the M1: I lift the bar just to the left of the next stitch and KTBL. It won't show after felting anyway.

Cast on 24 stitches and put 6 on each needle. Join to work in the round. Place a marker if you like.

Round 1. Knit
2. * K1, M1, K4, M1, K1 * repeat from * to * (32 sts)
3. K
4. K
5. * K1, M1, K6, M1, K1 * repeat from * to * (40 sts)
6. K
7. K
8. * K1, M1, K8, M1, K1 * repeat from * to * (48 sts)
9. K
10. K
11. * K1, M1, K10, M1, K1 * repeat from * to * (56 sts)
12. K
13. K
14. * K1, M1, K12, M1, K1 * repeat from * to * (64 sts, 16 on each needle)
15. K
(the red/orange pod has a few more rounds in this section)
16. K
17. K
18. * K1, K2tog, K10, K2tog, K1 * repeat from * to * (56 sts)
19. K
20. K
21. * K1, K2tog, K8, K2tog, K1 * repeat from * to * (48 sts)
22. K
23. K
24. * K1, K2tog, K6, K2tog, K1 * repeat from * to * (40 sts)
25. K
26. K
27. * K1, K2tog, K4, K2tog, K1 * repeat from * to * (32 sts)
28. * K1, K2tog, K2, K2tog, K1 * repeat from * to * (24 sts)
29. * K1, K2tog, K2tog, K1 * repeat from * to * (16 sts)
30. * K2tog, K2tog * repeat from * to * (8 sts)

Cut off yarn, run both strands through all remaining stitches, draw tight and weave in on the wrong side.

PLEASE: if you have questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you, but the comments section on this very old post is not the best way, especially if you don't leave an email address. You can contact me on ravelry (oliviasherwood) or hotmail (oliviasherwood@ hotmail.com).

21 comments:

Bells said...

oh thank you Liv! I'm so gonna do that. Just have to get a big enough set of DPNs. I generally don't like bi gauge stuff so don't buy them.

Yippee!

Denise said...

Thank you for the pattern, I'm definitely going to give this a try :)

Bloglines didn't pick up your post... that'll learn me to rely on it too much!

Rose Red said...

Yippee! I am so going to make one of these - and I have just the yarn for it too!
Thank you!

Leah said...

Thanks for the pattern - I made one, and had a great time!

Unknown said...

I love the pod pattern, but had trouble getting the correct number of stitches starting with row 2. The pattern states 32 stitches and I can only get 30. Is the asteric in the correct place ? Please help.Thanks

Olivia said...

Constance, I'd be happy to help if you send me an email to oliviasherwood@hotmail.com or message me on Ravelry. If you are using a set of five needles, you should start with 6 stitches on each of 4 needles. Round two increases each of those to 8 stitches. If you have your stitches on three needles instead of four it will be a little harder to follow the pattern. In any case it shouldn't matter if your stitch count is off by one or two, felting is very forgiving.

Anonymous said...

Liv - I'm fascinated with these pods and want to knit one. Question: I'm a beginner knitter and although I've tried to learn to use dbl pointed needles, the skill eludes me. Can the pod be knit on circular needles? Thanks, Carol

Olivia said...

Hi Carol, I'd be happy to help you if you email me oliviasherwood@hotmail.com. Unfortunately as the starting round is quite small, I don't think circular needles would work. It may be possible if you adjust the pattern to make a much bigger pod (it would be more of a basket) or perhaps adapt the pattern to knit flat and sew it up before felting.

Anonymous said...

Carol might be able to use circulars with the magic loop method...

these are so fabulous looking!

quirkylittletidbits said...

Saw this on Ravelry and had to have it--thank you for sharing!!!
Yours are wonderful and I like the colors you chose. This will surely help me dwindle my stash supply odds and ends.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great pattern idea! I knit bowls for a charity event called Empty Bowls to support a local food shelf. This pattern will be a great addition. Patern was easy to follow and love how it has turned out so far (still need to felt it!).

kcdilettante said...

I love this and plan to adapt for a Cat Cave. What are the finished measurements on this piece so I will know how to adjust the pattern. Thank you.

Olivia said...

Hi Kcdillettante, are you on ravelry? Find me there if you'd like to chat about this.

The blue one above is about 16cm wide and 10 high, but that is approximate. It can vary enormously depending on the wool you use, how thoroughly you felt the piece, and even the shape you block it to.

Especially for a bigger piece like a cat cave (what a great idea!) I would recommend making a test swatch and measure it before and after felting. Then you will know the proportion the fabric will shrink overall, and you can decide how big to make your cat cave so it will shrink to an appropriate size.

Anonymous said...

hi, these look cool. I was just wondering if you have a post or information on how you felted them?

Anonymous said...

What type of wool should I use for felting? I assume it has to be 100% wool.

Unknown said...

You can use circ but use markers where needed

Strickliesel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Strickliesel said...

Hallo, gibt es eine Anleitung für die viereckige Schale?

amy said...

For person who asked about doing on straight needles as doesn't have luck with DP needles - You could do the first rows flat, then join when there are enough stitches to comfortably join in round and knit that way. At the end, all you need to do is sew up that small bit of seam at the beginning before felting.

mweiss said...

What are the dimensions of the pods?

Anonymous said...

I am going to use them for birdhouses. Just have to figuare out a hanger. Thanks