If you've been reading here for a while you might remember that I have knit these before, and that it was quite a journey with many interesting challenges.
This time they are for my grandmother, for an important milestone birthday. By request. And also kind of as an exchange because I still need her to knit for me! (A fair isle cardie).
I made a couple of improvements. I finally figured out how to make the spirals go in opposite directions - knitting one stocking inside out, purling everything instead of knitting. It's lucky this was the one I completed first, because then I found that it looked much neater overall. I made the other one match better by doing all pattern rows as YO, SSK. The pattern that these are based on, Lolita Legs, alternates patterns rows with K2tog, and skp.
The other thing I changed, and which I had wanted to change even on the original ones, was to use smaller needles (2.25mm) for the toes and heels as well as the ribbing, decreasing (k2tog)and increasing (kfb) the stitch count as required.
Right. Off to knit something else!