Saturday, February 04, 2006

Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes

I am working on a new knitting project, one I've been thinking about for years. I'm not sure I'm actually ready for it. So far I have painstakingly un-knit almost as many rows as I have knit. Knitters call this unkitting process 'tinking'. Another good word would be 'excruciating'. It's what you do when, because of the properties of the pattern or the yarn or both, you can't just pull the needle out, rip back a few rows, and successfully put the needle back in. The first bit of tinking I did on this project actually introduced another error. So several of the rows have actually been un-knit and re-knit twice. Glargh.

Below are some before and after photos of one of the Christmas felted bowls. I start by crocheting the bowl holding two or three varying strands together. The content is almost all wool, as this is the stuff that actually felts. You can get away with a bit of other stuff in there for novelty.

It's much like crocheting a hat then putting it upside down. I would like to knit some bowls but I haven't psyched myself up to knitting in a circle, yet.















After:

No comments: