Monday, January 02, 2012

the galaxy from inside a jar

IMG_6305_edit
I had plenty of lavender left after making the eye pillow, so I took the opportunity to make a few little lavender sachets for presents. The lavender came in a big bag and it was a bargain because it was still on the stalks rather than just petals. It was a bit time-consuming pulling the petals off to use (though a lot had fallen to the bottom of the bag, which helped, but it smelled great! I still have lots left, and I think I might make myself a neck pillow with the remaining linseed and lavender.

The pink one started with a picot hem, a round with eyelets for the drawstring, and then I used this
chain-of-hearts motif - after several failed attempts to reverse the direction of a different heart motif (also, that pattern included SK4P and K4tog, not super fun in splitty cotton).

IMG_6324
For the other two I just did a normal cast on edge, and this leaf lace pattern. The ties are just a crocheted chain. The white one is Patons Feathersoft 4ply, and the orangey one is Trekking XXL sock wool. I switched to the navy blue fabric for the lining because I became slightly concerned that the white cotton I had used for the pink one might not be tightly woven enough to stop a few bits of lavender/leaf/sticks I missed poking through. I hope it wasn't a problem though, as I used that white fabric for the eye pillow as well. I like the navy with the white sachet, but I think white would have looked nicer under the orange one. Still, all of them will smell nice in the wardrobe or underwear drawer.
IMG_6329

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it does too.... smell good, that is! thanks honey ily ma

amy said...

Mmm, I love the smell of lavender. Very soothing! When I wash the sheets I put a few drops of lavender essential oil in the washing machine. (In hopes it will help the kids fall asleep!!!)

Donna Lee said...

I have some small sachets in with my knitting. It makes working on some plain knitting more enjoyable since it smells so good.