Friday, June 12, 2009
Some things about grandma.
1. She would ask years after the fact if you were still using that jumper she knitted once upon a time. And if you weren't, just send it back and she would use it for something or someone else.
2. She was always willing to learn something new. After she married Grandpa she found someone to teach her to speak Polish, and she became pretty fluent. She didn't want to be left out when he talked with his friends. Also, her father was Polish and she connected strongly with the culture.
3. She would read my blog every now and then. There were a few times when something there seemed to really intrigue or amuse her, and she would mention it on the phone to me or I would hear about it through Mum. Those are the best examples I remember of genuine communication between us, when she recognised something I was saying and connected with it.
4. She really wanted us to gather around the piano and have singalongs. We usually disappointed her in this, especially as we got older.
5. She loved art and music. She was constantly reading novels, just like me. Unlike me she vetoed novels with anything too nasty in them.