Another project that's been around a long time. Probably longer than the blanket, which was started last winter.
This is the Tofutsies sock yarn Donna Lee sent me in 2007. I can't remember when I started these socks but for various reasons, they have taken a long time. I know it's not because I didn't enjoy knitting them. I loved watching the colours emerge. They just tended to be the simple carry-around project which kept getting put on the backburner by more urgent things.
I finished the first sock last summer. So now when I put them on they feel a bit short - it's cold and I want a bit more ankle coverage. That's fine though. Even though this yarn has quite a bit of wool in it, along with cotton, soysilk, and chitin, it feels primarily cottony to me, so I was hoping I would be able to wear these in the in-between seasons. I seem to only be able to wear wool socks when it's quite cold. My feet certainly feel the cold but also heat up very rapidly sometimes.
I love the way these turned out, especially the stripes and the way they widened on the upper part of the sock (due to the instep increases, I suspect). They have a sort of speckly look which is hard to capture in the photos. It's due, I think - just a guess - to some of the fibres taking up the dye more than others, so with all the colours there's a pale version plied with the stronger version.
These were done the way all my socks are: toe up, short row heel, no particular numbers, just made to fit.