Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Wear fuzzy ears
This was another Christmas present for my nephew and niece. The ears were adapted from Flintknits Lamb Ears tutorial, with the linings knitted instead of cut out of felt. It was great to find such a nice way to use some of fuzzy novelty yarn I've had for years. I had hoped to make some tails to go with them, but some stuff happened and I ran out of time. I still hope to get around to that soon. I'm not sure of the best way to attach a costume tail (without a full costume), but was thinking a simple elastic band to go around the waist.
I knit i-cord to cover the headbands, which was pretty quick and easy. However, they turned out not exactly little-kid-proof, and were returned to me for reworking. The headbands had started to come out of their coverings. I also took the opportunity to replace the headbands with smaller ones, as they were a bit too big and didn't stay on too well. The kids ones I found were only a little bit smaller - there don't seem to be an toddler ones about. I guess toddlers don't wear those Alice style headbands, they would be forever taking them off and probably breaking them!
On take 2, I was able to reinforce the black one (which I had knit in two strands of plain acrylic) by darning over the end regions to tighten up any holes. But the brown one was knit in two different strands of novelty fluffy stuff (see the top photo) and it was loose and holey, and hard to reinforce. I decided to start again with brown sock wool and small needles. This meant it took a bit longer to knit the covering, but they shouldn't be able to push the headbands out this time. I sewed a strand of brown fuzzy stuff on to make it match the ears a bit better.
I didn't proclaim them to be any specific animals - I knew the kids would like them and would probably determine what animals they should be. I think, last I heard, they had been deemed to be a bunny (the grey) and a bear (brown).