Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It was a suitable name

When I went to meet Bells in Civic today, there was young dog happily bumbling around amongst the public servants emerging onto the street for lunch. He had the air of a dog who is accidentally on a grand adventure when he should probably be safely behind a fence. No one seemed to be with him or looking for him, though I had seen him greet quite a few people, who thought he was cute or sweet. When I spotted Bells approaching, he was heading up towards a busy road.

One of my greatest fears is seeing a dog get hit by a car. And I'm not that keen on seeing a car or two crash because they were trying to avoid a dog, either. I also feel I have a debt to society, because in the early days when we were still getting the fences and gate dog-proofed here, our dogs were returned by kind neighbours quite a few times. So I couldn't just let this little fella wander away.

He came with me willingly enough, but there was no name or phone number attached to his collar. So Bells called Domestic Animal Services, who quickly worked out that his description matched that of a dog that had been reported missing today from O'Connor (one suburb away). In an unexpectedly efficient bit of service, they also put her call straight through to the person who was missing a tan coloured Cocker Spaniel puppy called Wally. (He seemed to recognise his name, but then he was pretty eager to please in general.) We had one anxious wait while the young girl called her mum and then got back to us, then a longer wait for a family friend to come and find us.



I owe Bells big thanks for being willing to sit on the street for ages, in brand-new pants, no less, when we were supposed to be picking up our knitting from Crafts ACT and eating lunch. (Luckily we still had time to do those things after). I really didn't think I could handle the mental images of lost or squished dog the rest of the day, if we didn't do something.

And, yes I am a sucker. He was so sweet. Look at the size of those feet - I don't think he's finished growing yet, not by a long shot. Reuniting him with his people totally made my day.

13 comments:

amy said...

Oh, what a great picture! I'm glad the dog was safely reunited.

And Bells, those ARE nice pants!!

Donna Lee said...

Your story made me smile and made my day! Yay for rescuing helpless animals. You are not a sucker, just a woman with a kind heart. Seems to me, we need some more of them around.

Alwen said...

Well, I don't think you're a sucker, and I'm so glad you and Bells did that.

Bells said...

It's just not something I would have ever thought to do. It's changed my view of dogs wandering around the city completely.

DrK said...

awwwww! hes so cute. as a dog owner i can feel the relief the owners must have felt at having him returned. nice work both of you :)

Georgie said...

Good on you, both of you - it always warms my heart to see people step up to help out others, even if it puts them out of their way for a while.

But then I know you and Bells are pretty special gals anyway ;-)

Denise said...

Well done Olivia and Bells! You get the Puppy Prize :D

Rose Red said...

Nice work Olivia! Nice pants Bells! (and fingernails!). Wally also seems to need to grow into his ears as well!

Taphophile said...

You're a good egg, Olivia. Having had the girls escape (the first night we had them) and captured by a dog-loving good samaritan who rang me, I applaud you both.

Knit1 Blog1 said...

Hey Olivia,

thanks for the lovely story of Wally, it is always distressing to see an animal (specially a dog if your mad keen on them like me)lost or confused, if not happy to be out and meeting people! Its great when it all works out as well and people really appreciate that sort of help as you mentioned with your hounds. No wonder you two girls were glowing at Craft ACT!

Anonymous said...

Such different lives we lead...

I have the council's phone number in my mobile and call them to catch dogs on the street whenever we encounter them. No way would I ever approach one myself. I see a stray dog I grab insect repellent to spray at them if required.

Dogs treat humans the way that they're treated. Nice to see they're well treated in Canberra.

Cam-ee said...

I've been there. My boyfriend and I encountered a lovely little dog in the middle of Mudgee. No collar either and an alarming tendency to wander onto the road. We had to ring my mother in Sydney for directions to the vets (she use to live in Mudgee)

The vets recognised her on sight. Apparently she was well known for escaping.

Neet said...

Aw... definitely good karma. Or dogma? Groan...
Bad jokes aside, good on you. I'm sure you made the owners day too!