Saturday, April 19, 2008
My beats per minute never been the same
Almost two years ago I embarked on a project to make buttons. I had a collection of these nicely rounded, flattish shells, and all they needed was holes drilled into them to make a quirky present for my mum. Mum loves buttons. That might even be a small understatement.
The drilling of the holes turned out to involve perhaps a few more frustrations than I expected. After some trial and error I worked out a method that worked acceptably. Each hole was started using a 'grinder' drill bit (one meant for a Dremel tool but it goes in the normal drill just fine) to sand away the shiny surface and make a small depression. Then I was able to drill the hole with a standard drill bit. It took a LONG time to drill through each shell, especially as I discovered that the last stretch should be done at low speed so that I could stop just before the bit broke through the shell, and then use the grinder from the other side, to make a neater hole.
When I finally gave the set to mum last year, at least a year after I had started the project, I didn't think she would necessarily use them but I thought they would at least be an interesting and novel addition to her collection. So it was a thrill for me when she made herself a new jacket recently, and used the shell buttons. Smoother side out for the main buttons, and ridged side for the cuffs.