Thursday, June 01, 2006

The higher you fly the deeper you go

Yesterday afternoon I suddenly realised it was the last day to see 65 Roses, an exhibition at the School of Art Foyer Gallery, seeking to raise awareness of Cystic Fibrosis and raise money for the Australian Cystic Fibrosis Research Trust. The name comes from a bittersweet story about a little boy who was told his sister had cystic fibrosis but heard it as, you guessed it, '65 Roses'. So the rose was the theme of the show. The main reason I made the effort was to see Demelza's sweet Dolly before she went off to her new owner.

Some of the rose-themed work was a bit cute or obvious for my liking but there was also a lot of good stuff. It was nice to see such a range of artists' work all at once.

I bought this one. Untitled, by Paloma Ramos. Couldn't resist that green monkey and all the green roses. I love the way it looks like a little shrine, sort of like the Catholic ones that fasinated me in Poland. I would like to find out the story behind it.

No comments: