Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I'm an artist honey, do you know how that feels?


 Posted by Picasa

I suppose it's possible that someone reading this might need closure: I finished reading The Da Vinci Code. Sigh. At this point, the less said the better. Though I do have a few notes if anyone sincerely wants to take up a discussion...

Moving on. I read quite a few blogs regularly. I still like to cruise the knitting blogs and a few other crafty ones. I also have several favourites which are online journals of the blogger's daily life, the few that rise above the masses simply by good writing - funny, touching, intimate, clever. Aside from these fairly typical uses of blogs, I'm fascinated by some of the more unusual things people are doing. Yesterday I found this one by a daughter who has archived her father's messages on her answering machine. You've just got to read it.

And a while ago Kam pointed me to PostSecret which invites you to write your secret on a postcard and send it in to be posted on the blog. I was fascinated and touched and just couldn't stop reading. It's clear that a few people might be taking the piss, but it's also clearly theraputic for many people. But what interested me the most was the theme that repeatedly comes up in the comments: reading through these secrets kept making people realise that 'we are all the same'. It struck a chord with me, because I recently read an eloquent and convincing argument somewhere, that for the achievement of world peace and harmony, more than being aware of and valuing diversity, what we need is to realise how the same were all are. I wish I could remember where that was. If you have any idea, please tell me. I hope I come across it again.

No comments: