Sunday, August 29, 2021

Warrior shawl!

20210806_180426 (2)

This is Beth's shawl from the 2019 Little Women movie. But we're calling it the Warrior Shawl! as those seem to be the vibes when she wears this way, like a sontag (or 'Danish tie shawl'). 

P1015908 (3)

Sometimes a piece of knitwear from a film catches the eye of knitters, and one or more people will reverse engineer a pattern. In this case though, the woman who published the pattern (and donated the proceeds to a charity) is the person who actually knit it for the movie

P1015905 (2)

We decided the best colours for my sister would be pretty much the same colours as the original. The main purple is a delicious merino and linen blend: Isager Yarn Merilin. The brown and yellow stripes are some of a large batch of 4ply tweed yarns (Rowan and similar) which I had found not long before, a wonderful op shop find.  

collage

It was a delight to knit. I loved the yarn, especially the Merilin, and this was a good thing, as I ended up reknitting the whole thing after my icord edging came out way too tight, which you can see in the picture on the right above. It was one of those projects, where I sort of knew as I went along that it probably wasn't going to be ok, but just kept going and hoped it would block out enough. I should trust that instinct by now! 

20210804_075529 (2)

It's actually not exactly the same as the one in the film. The skinny brown stripes are actually not as skinny as they should be (3 garter ridges instead of 2) as I missed the errata published for the pattern. But I think we can live with this. Just adds a little more length and warmth.

20210806_180403 (2)

20210806_183749 (2)

1 comment:

Shybiker said...

This is a lovely shawl! And I'm impressed at your talent. I want to learn how to knit and plan to move in that direction soon. P.S., Thanks also for your support on my blog.